Managing the Public Queue¶
The Public queue lists Sightings data submitted by citizen scientists and the public and is managed by researchers. All public-submitted Sightings data requires a process of curation that involves annotating images with bounding boxes to outline animals in images, and grouping annotations of the same animal together. This process allows submitted Sightings to be best set up for accurate identification. The Public queue displays the curation status of Sightings.
Accessing the Public Queue¶
- Click the Actions triangle icon at the right end of the menu bar.
- Select Pending citizen science sightings from the drop-down menu.
A list of citizen science sightings that are ready to be curated will appear as a Public Queue.
- To sort the Sightings, click on any of the headings.
- To export the list as a CSV file, click the download cloud icon on the right above the list.
- To search the Sightings and use search filters, click the menu icon.
Curating a Sighting¶
- Locate a Sighting on the Public Queue page.
- Click the arrow icon under the Actions heading to go to the Sighting page.
- On the Sighting page, scroll down the Identification pipeline status box.
- Under the SIGHTING CURATION heading, click the ASSIGN ANNOTATIONS button.
You will be directed to the PHOTOGRAPHS tab on the Sighting page.
- On the photo you wish to annotate, click the three vertical dots at the top right in the frame.
- Click the Add annotation link. An annotation frame will appear on the photo.
- Move and resize the annotation frame so that it fits entirely around the animal in the image:
- To move the annotation frame, hover over it and click and drag the frame to the position you require.
- To resize the annotation frame, hover over it to locate the resizing dots in the frame, then click and drag the dots on the frame around the animal in the image.
- Click the Viewpoint field under the photo and select the side of the animal that is shown from the dropdown list.
- Click the Annotation class field and select the species of the animal from the dropdown list.
- Click the SAVE button on the bottom right of the page.
A fixed annotation box will appear on your photo. Toggle the Show annotations button to change its visibility.
Click the ANIMALS tab on the Sighting page.
- Under the Animal heading, click the + sign in the Annotations box on the right. The photo of the animal will appear with the fixed annotation box around it.
- Click the center of the annotation box.
- Click the ADD ANNOTATIONS button.
- Complete this process for all photos in the Sighting.
Committing a Sighting¶
Once curation is complete for all photos, the Sighting is ready to be committed to searches and match results with other Animals in the database.
- Click the COMMIT button to the right of the Ready to commit banner under the headings.
- Select an option for the process of identification of animals in the photos. Choose to either:
- Run the identification job with the default settings.
- Not start an identification job.
- Customize settings for this identification job, which allows you to manage the identification algorithms used and the region of Sightings matched against.
- Click the COMMIT SIGHTING button in the bottom right corner of the box.