Scout is designed to operate inside of an annotation lab in which:
- A powerful laptop with a GPU (see specifications below) runs Scout and serves its web pages to other computers on the internal network (no external network access required).
- Other laptops connect to Scout over the internal network using the Chrome web browser. Annotators and lab leads, who log into Scout to perform or review image annotation, are the users supported by the system administrator.
Scout Server Laptop¶
The Scout server laptop should be a Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Mobile Workstation with the following specifications:
- 11th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-11950H Processor (2.60 GHz up to 5.00 GHz)
- NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3080 Max-Q 16GB GDDR6
- 64 GB RAM (upgrade from base model sold by Lenovo may be needed; US version can include 64 GB)
- Wifi connectivity
The supported model is:
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/ThinkPad-P1-Gen-4/p/WMD00000463?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F UK: Part Number: 20Y30019UK (64GB RAM upgrade may be needed; check with Lenovo)
Wild Me recommends annotators to access Scout using a Chrome web browser. As for computers, they can use a standard Chromebook to annotate as long as their laptop is connected over the lab’s network to a URL for the Scout server.